Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Matisse Lesson 1st grade idea

Yesterday, I did the Matisse collage lesson with the 1st graders in Mrs. Rhode's class. We started with a 9x12 piece of paper and their choice of 3 colored squares. I showed them some pictures of Henri Matisse and talked about his life and work and about how he began to "paint with scissors" after he lost his ability to stand and paint.  We talked about how he would cut figures then arrange them on the floor in front of  him or on the walls around him and have his assistants move them until they were in the spot that fit best for him.

I talked about curved vs. straight lines and how to use the negative and positive pieces of their cutting then sent them to work. They turned out great. Searching for ideas for my older classes I ran into this 1st grade sample work and think I may try this for my 3rd graders.

http://dripdripsplattersplash.blogspot.com/2014/04/matisse-cutouts.html


No comments:

Post a Comment